A Bit of History – Saron Evangelical Lutheran Church
A small group of Scandinavians met for worship in the St. Joseph fire station on August 3, 1875. After the service Rev. J. P. Nuquist called for the establishment of a Lutheran church for people of Swedish descent and 29 persons signed a charter to become part of the Augustana Synod. The name “Saron” was chosen for congregation. It was the Swedish spelling of “Sharon” in the Bible and refers to God’s love as a blossom – like a rose in the desert.
“The desert will sing and shout for joy; it will be as beautiful as the fields of Carmel and Sharon.” Isaiah 35:2(NEB)
Today, Saron is a community of people with various backgrounds. We gather each week to worship and go out to joyfully share God’s love for all creation.